Watch the 'Working For Essex' video
£46,041 - £52,116
17 November 2023
6 December 2023
We’d love you to join us at the London Borough of Hounslow! Our people are deeply committed to providing excellent services to our residents, doing all we can to make lives as good as they can be.
We are an outstanding council, serving an outstanding borough. With brilliant, visionary leadership, a dynamic Cabinet and a can-do culture, we’ve built strong partnerships which have transformed how we serve one of London’s most diverse boroughs. Hounslow is the world in one place and full of potential. We are stepping up for our residents like never before.
About our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We live by five core values: Lead with Heart, Do New, Pass on the Power, Harness the Mix and Be a Rock. All our work has equality, diversity and inclusion at its very heart, best articulated in “Harness the Mix”. It's about breaking down barriers between our parts and people and unlocking the problem-solving power of our amazing mix of minds. We serve a diverse community, we have a diverse workforce and we are committed to being an inclusive employer.
We work hard to create representation across our workforce and leadership community, we have thriving employee network groups and our learning and development programmes help us lead, model and breathe ways of working that eliminate inequality, inequity, injustice and bias.
As part of this and under our commitments as a Disability Confident Employer, we make reasonable adjustments to accommodate our candidates. There’s space for you to tell us what you need within our application form.
If you join us, you’ll have access to a range of employee benefits. Read more about these here.
About The Role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of our Safeguarding and Support Service as a social worker. In this role, you’ll be primarily working closely with children and their families. You will manage a caseload where children or young people in Need and subject to child protection plans, and for brief periods, those who are in care.
Your role will be to deliver relevant interventions to safeguard children and ensure their needs are met whilst aiming to effect long term positive change to improve the life experiences of vulnerable children and young people. Within this role you will work to maintain high standards of professional practice, always working in the best interests of children and young people at heart.
About The Team You’ll Be Working In
Purpose of our team
• We know that children thrive best when they are in a safe home environment with carers who meet their needs. Our role is to work with families where they are safeguarding concerns to ensure they meet the needs of their children. Where it is safe to do so, most children are cared for at home by parents and/or relatives. Our team is at the fore front of safeguarding and supporting children so that their needs are met within the home environment but in exceptional circumstances a limited number of children cannot be safeguarded at home, and we work with the families until the children are in a safe environment.
• The safeguarding and support team west 1 has three cohorts. Two cohorts are led by an assistant team manager and a third cohort is led by consultant social worker who provide teaching and support to student social workers.
• As a qualified social worker, you will join one of the two cohorts and benefit from the support of an assistant team manager, a weighted case load and an opportunity to work with a team of passionate social workers who are good at what we do. You will benefit from regular and consistent one-to-one supervision and group reflective supervision facilitated by an advanced social worker. Your training will be prioritised, and you will benefit from having a professional development to help you acquire and improve your social work skills.
• We know from our regular case audits that families we work with find our social workers to be helpful, consistent and engage families well.
If the points below resonate with you, we’d love you to put in an application:
1. Ability to communicate with compassion and authority in challenging situations and with resistant individuals.
2. Demonstrate the ability to work within your own organisation and identify and begin to work with the relationship between the organisation, practice, and wider changing contexts.
3. Ensure practice is underpinned by policy, procedures, and code of conduct to promote individual’s rights to determine their own solutions, promoting problem-solving skills, whilst recognising how and when self-determination may be constrained (by the law).
4. Ability to recognise and manage conflicting values and ethical dilemmas, in practice, using supervision and team discussion, questioning, and challenging others, including those from other professions.
5. Ability to provide professional opinion/routinely explain professional reasoning, judgements, and decisions. A ‘people person’ with the ability to communicate key messages effectively.
6. Passionate and have a can-do attitude and can think on your feet.
Read more about the work you’ll be doing in the Role Profile.
Don’t meet every single requirement? We know that sometimes people can be put off applying for a job if they think they can’t tick every box. At Hounslow, we realise the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. So, if you can do most of what we’re looking for, go ahead and apply. You may be just the right candidate for the job or be perfect for one of our other roles!
When Interviews Will Be Held And Who To Contact
The key information you need about the role should be in the role profile, but if you have any further questions about the role, please contact:
Telephone: 0777 3185586
Interviews for this job will be held during week commencing 20th November 2023 on a rolling basis and 8th December 2023.
Join an informal drop-in session
Would you like to register your interest in an interview for this position?
This job's application window has now closed.
Sign up to our newsletter
Subscribe for free today and receive updates about other jobs like this one.